Friday, May 7, 2010

What it means

This Sunday will be my third Mother's Day, but somehow this year is different, not better just different.
When you become a mom and a member of this "club" no one prepares you for the roller coaster ride.
When I learned I was pregnant I felt the same excitement and fear when you first get on a roller coaster ride and pull down on the safety bar...you hear the final clicks...then realize there is no turning back. It's a rush of excitement and a few seconds of feeling,
"Oh crap, I wanna get off, I change my mind".
As the roller coaster ride continues you realize you feel alive and free...even if you were scared to death during the entire ride. When the ride comes to an end, you have no regrets, you lived to tell about it, you have some blurry pics on a screen in the waiting area to prove you did it and you can 't wait to do it again.
Being a mom has been such a learning experience for me. I tend to be a very anal person, prefer when things go my way, I like things scheduled, I don't like being late, I like my house cleaned on a weekly basis and decorated just so and I LOVE sleeping in. But being part of the "club" has changed me in a way I never thought it would...sometimes I like it and sometimes it takes time to adjust but in the end it makes me realize.. it's not my way but it's even BETTER.
Everyday is a roller coaster ride that makes me wake up and want to do it again and again. The same fears are there as the day before but each day I notice a different turn, a bump, a drop that I didn't notice the last time I got on the ride.
The last 2 years have brought me joy that I never fully understood before. There are not enough pictures to capture the LOVE you feel when you hold your newborn for the first time, experience X-Mas mornings and kiss tiny little toes every night.
It's the kind of love MY mom has for ME and that just feels soooo good to realize how deep that love really is, now that I KNOW.
Happy Mother's Day Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment