Sunday, March 7, 2010

It's Potty Time!

This weekend I decided to get serious about potty training. D has gone pee pee (#1) on the potty a while back but with everything going on with the rental the training took a back seat.
His old potty now has a new home at the Grandparents house and I ventured out to get a new potty OR two. After D and I ran a few errands (post office, Babies R Us, park, lunch at Panera (just the two of us) and Target we arrived home with two potties. Right away a favorite one was chosen (the $30 one, of course) and we began our new adventure.
We started out with your basic bribery, consisting of chips and some water to make things go quicker. He lasted maybe a minute before he ran off.I gave a grand speech or two about being a "big boy", how pee pee and poo poo belong in the potty and not a diaper. I tried making a $30 piece of plastic with no extras (noises, fake flushers, music) sound fabulous to an almost two year old, here is what he thought of it all...a bunch of plastic pieces that looked like fun with no other purpose other than for banging and stacking.
The next morning with a new outlook on the whole potty training business I took it up a notch. I figured out the best time of day for him to really need to go to the bathroom based on his regular schedule and went to work.
After being served a royal Sunday breakfast, I knew it was the right time to try again.
In case you're wondering what that is, I hate throwing out deli meat left over from the week so I usually cut it up and use it with scrambled eggs. That yellow glob on the right is a piece of baguette dunked in eggs and fried. Daniel hates scrambled eggs but he LOVED this.It was time. I sat him on his potty with his belly full of food and gave him a juice box. He rarely gets juice so when he does get it he drinks it until it's gone. Then I gave him gold fish (nacho flavor) and waited. This time I was a little bit more stern about saying "not yet" when he tried to get off. I sat in front of him reading a couple of books and I made a few "sounds" to encourage pushing #2 out and all of a sudden he made #1 and #2!!!!My BIG BOY!!!! He got up looked at his accomplishment and ran away screaming. I tried to make him flush it down but he just waved bye bye to it as I explained that it was going down to the ocean to the fish. I even danced for him. Anyone remember the movie Look Who's Talking Now when Mikey makes pee pee and skinny Kristie Alley and young John Travolta dance and sing for him? I stole it and it works great. Can you sing...Pee Pee in the potty, Pee Pee in the potty??!!!He thought he was the rock star for the rest of the day posing for the camera.


I had to include this picture below as it captures his latest obsession with everything being a "boo boo". He runs to me anytime he hurts his head, finger or toe for me to kiss it even if he really didn't hurt it. What a man!

Wish us luck as we continue to encourage the big guy to use the potty.

3 comments:

  1. He is too cute, I totally remember that scene in "Look who's talking now!" It's amazing the things you have to do to get cooperation! I'm glad you guys are in a new rental too. Hopefully things will start going a lot smoother and you can find a house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Yola! You are a more patient woman than I am. I will learn from your ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! You have such a cute baby!

    ReplyDelete