Monday, August 3, 2009

Weekend update!

Just added these after posted the post below. Thanks Lexi.
Daniel and Lexi.
Babysitter, I mean Lexi and Daniel.
The whole gang!


What a busy weekend!
Saturday we had Ryan's co-workers over with their significant others and had a great time. I felt like I was in college as we cheered on the men in the family room who were playing mortal combat. The game got quite competitive and I had to cover Daniel's ears to make sure his first word wouldn't be a bad one. It was a good time.
Sunday, the day started with Daniel's speech therapy. It went really well. The first session was really more questions for me than therapy but the therapist (Dee, Dee) gave me wonderful suggestions. Here is a list of items that I wrote down during our session:

  • purchase a vibrating toothbrush (it stimulates "something" inside the mouth)
  • purchase a vibrating teether to help with stimulation
  • offer more crunchy foods such as pretzels, crackers, etc. to help with muscle movement
  • enunciate words a LOT
  • practice phrases that Daniel has to finish (1,2,3.....GO)
  • practice blowing bubbles
  • keep words/phrases simple
  • repetition is our friend (I may get tired of saying the same word but according to the therapist if I say it 1000 times he hears it 10)
  • sing, read, REPEAT (lots of picture books and songs)
  • Baby Babble videos are our friends (I researched this a while back and had them already)
  • purchase baby bumble bee video
  • attend playgroups/classes with peers (I think we have that covered)
  • sign language is our friend as well (Daniel knows to sign for "more" and "milk")
  • make toy noises such as vrroomm for car
  • praise Daniel when he tries to make sounds even if not correct

I felt better after the session and feel like we are on our way. I felt that 90% of what is on that list I was already doing but I'll still step it up a notch.

Afterwards we went blueberry picking. My brother in law came up with a new location to go to this year so my sister, brother in law and kids along with my parents were about 30 minutes ahead of us. An hour into the trip my phone goes off and my mom tells me they just pulled up and the gate is closed, CLOSED ON SUNDAYS. Seriously, any blueberry farm should know to be open on a Sunday. With Ryan's blackberry in hand we found another blueberry farm, over 100 miles away. After a total of 3 hours of driving we arrived in Michigan City, Indiana. Daniel was already losing it so running around did him some good. $13 and 2 hours later we had blueberries and were ready to hit the road again. It was so nice to spend time with my family. We don't get to do that much. We've promised each other that we will be better about getting out of the house on weekends to spend time together. The plan for this coming weekend is Indiana Dunes, if the weather cooperates.

No comments:

Post a Comment