Sunday, June 13, 2010

A hard day or two or three or FOUR

It's Sunday evening and the only thing that I can think of to relax is to post a blog. Weird right? That is how I chill and "do my thang", I guess.

As I sit at my desk staring out the window watching the rain fall I think of the past few days and it puts a smile on my face!
My niece and Goddaughter graduated 8th grade on Wednesday. As I saw her walk down with her classmates I couldn't believe my eyes, 14 years ago I was at the hospital as my sister was having her first child and now I was sitting in my high school gym (soon to be her high school) as she began a new adventure.
I got teary eyes, time flies so fast, I got scared, scared that in a few years I will be witnessing D accept his diploma and ready to start high school (the same one that I, my niece and nephew had attended).
Buying a house in my old neighborhood became really neat at that moment and I knew we made the right decision. D was a good sport during the entire thing and played with his cars and clapped at the appropriate moments.
The next 4 days after that are a blur, really. We painted ceilings, painted walls, ate junk food to survive and drank lots of coffee so we wouldn't fall asleep with paint rollers in our hands. I didn't take any pics of the house because besides from the wall colors nothing has improved. The floors will be done this week and another coat of paint will really tie things together. According to my brother in law we are about 60% there. This is coming from a man that tore up our fireplace, ripped apart our bathroom (that now only has plumbing exposed). He worked hard on Saturday to save us money on making our place a home, so we are thankful.
D spent the weekend with "Papa" and "Babagaba" (it changes) and had tons of fun.

When we got back from the house on Sunday, I didn't know what to catch up on. As Ryan scraped the 4 paint colors off of his body and caught up on his comic book reading I vacuumed and did 2 loads of laundry.
The missing sock didn't bother me one bit as I looked at the folded laundry in my laundry basket. It felt good to be on top of things. Not that I had any choice, we did need clean clothes.
As one load was dried another one went into the drier, exposing the once "good" pants that were transformed into "working" pants. The cute Wrigleyville tank top, once a top that looked great with jeans was now covered with paint, ready for next the weekend of labor.
Finally, Sunday evening when the doorbell rang and we saw our sweet little man, oh sweet face, the previous 4 days were a distant memory.
I can't wait to see his face as he walks into his room that is now sporting 2 shades of blue! I can't wait to see him play in his new playroom that now has a shade of orange/mustardy color on the walls. I can't wait to snuggle in the morning with him in our bedroom that now has a soft and sophisticated aqua/blueish color. I can't wait to watch him pound on our computer keyboard in our office that now has Kermit the frog green walls. It was a good 4 days, 4 days of slapping paint on the walls and picturing our family in each and every room making new memories.
Reunited were father and son, mama and baby and within minutes we were back to being a family of 3 and "doin our thang".
As the next couple of weeks bring on more challenges it's this face that will get me through anything.Our family has been the BEST! My in-laws taking care of D and giving me a piece of mind that he is receiving the best child care a mom could ever imagine, my parents rolling paint on room after room, my brother in law drilling into brick and things I didn't even know could be drilled into, my sister sweeping the floors during cleanup and bringing me fresh meat for the week when I didn't have the energy to walk into another store to get food for the next day.
YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

No comments:

Post a Comment