Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mother's Day Recap

Mother's Day, the one day I don't mind being the center of attention. I earned it, I've worked my ass off all year long and one day a year is not too much for the world to act like they appreciate me.
The funny thing about Mother's Day is, you're still a mom, on a holiday that you just want a damn break. My Sunday morning started bright and early, at freaking 5am.
Where is the liquor at?
The little guy is breaking his tooth and he wants everyone to know it. I staggered out of bed and brought him in with us, a daily routine that results in him passing out till at least 6:30, but guess what my friends? None of that happened on Mother's Day, he was up and ready to start his day. By 5:30 I was ready to cry, Ryan is not a morning person and so after some eye rolling and both of us grunting he took the baby and tried to put him back to sleep. At about 6:30 we realized none of that happy, perfect Mother's Day sh#$ was going to happen. Ry offered to get me some Starbucks to which I quickly replied "oh no, it's OK honey, I'm going to go get it". He looked confused but the 15 minutes of pure silence in the car holding a cup of hot coffee, still in pajamas (I put a jacket and pants over them, thank you) was the best moment of the morning. I cleared my head and as I walked back into the house I was ready to take it on once again.
I got the sweetest little gifts from my first born that he made at school. On Friday, he told me numerous times I could not open it but he gave me one clue about one gift, "you need to plant it". Oh the mystery.
By 8:30 we decided God was looking at me and telling me "dear child and your pathetic state, stay home and pray and don't even bother bringing those monsters to the house of God". So, we skipped church. I needed to regain my sanity. That dang cup of coffee only bought me an hour of peace.
By 9:15 we were running around the house trying to get everyone dressed and pack everything that we would need to meet my family for breakfast at 10am. I believe I did say "this is the worst Mother's Day ever" at one point as I was fighting Daniel to get dressed and Michael reached the whiniest state of his existence.
We were out the door by 9:50 and then waited 30 minutes to be seated. Things went surprisingly well after that.
We enjoyed my family, we laughed, the baby was passed around like a hot potato.
We came home and the best thing happened in the entire universe that turned my day around. I napped with the baby for 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!! I watched The Breakfast Club as I dozed on and off. The duo (Ry and Daniel) watched Star Wars downstairs. All was well with the world.
Later on we met my in-laws in Long Grove for dinner. We didn't get there in time to shop but Ry and I were both depressed that the town seems to be barely surviving. Stores are closing, no one was at the restaurant, we are hopeful they will be there next year.
I didn't take any pictures with either side of the family but I did make out with these right before we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment